The J.D. Power U.S. Auto Insurance Study provides national and regional analyses of customers’ perceptions of their auto insurer’s ability to meet their expectations, and also explores the correlation between customer satisfaction and financial performance, particularly retention levels. The study also identifies the Key Performance Indicators and best practices that are directly linked to auto insurance satisfaction.
This study helps insurers answer the following questions:
- What are the key drivers of satisfaction for auto insurance customers?
- What creates the most satisfying experience for the customer?
- What are the key trends insurers must act on to better satisfy their customers?
- What impact are digital channels and changing demographics having on insurers and their current processes with their customers?
- Which insurers are providing the best experiences for their customers and what are they doing to achieve that?
This study evaluates the overall customer experience with their auto insurer across five factors:
- Billing Process and Policy Information
- Policy Offerings
Press Release & Award Information
J.D. Power will issue a national press release that will highlight key findings and trends from the study and include top-to-bottom regional rankings of the insurers in the study that meet J.D. Power’s predetermined research criteria. The insurer(s) that rank highest in each of the 11 regions profiled this year and meet predetermined award criteria will have the opportunity to leverage their award publicly through the J.D. Power award licensing program, which requires subscribing to the study as a prerequisite.
New for 2023: We will be adding a new segment to the study for Usage-Based Insurance. This segment will have an award associated with it.
2023 Brands Targeted to be Profiled
(final list available upon study publication)
- Alfa Insurance
- American Family
- Auto Club of Southern California Insurance Group
- Automobile Club Group
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- CONNECT by American Family
- COUNTRY Financial
- CSAA Insurance Group
- Direct General
- Erie Insurance
- Farm Bureau Insurance - Tennessee
- Grange Insurance
- Grinnell Mutual
- Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance
- Kentucky Farm Bureau
- Liberty Mutual
- MAPFRE Insurance
- Michigan Farm Bureau
- National General
- New York Central Mutual
- NJM Insurance Co.
- North Carolina Farm Bureau
- PEMCO Insurance
- Plymouth Rock Assurance
- Safety Insurance
- State Farm
- Texas Farm Bureau
- The General
- The Hanover
- The Hartford
- Westfield Insurance
^Brand not rank eligible
Make decisions with confidence
Subscribers to this study have full access to benchmark reporting, competitor analysis, and more with PowerSource.
J.D. Power studies, products, and services are available for purchase. If you’re interested in subscribing to a J.D. Power study or becoming a client, please fill out the form, and we'll be in touch. Questions? Click here to find the answers to frequently asked questions.
If you’ve received a J.D. Power survey and have questions or comments, please contact us here.
For all other inquiries, you can contact us here.